The workplace is changing—there’s no denying that. Major technological advances, changing cultural norms and a new generation of workers are all contributing to the disruption of the workplace as we know it. While change can certainly be a good thing, it also requires that companies be ready and willing to update their policies and procedures to suit the new environment.
Document management can play a major role in helping companies prepare for the workplace of the future. By streamlining workflows and providing instant access to information when and where your employees need it, you can begin transitioning to the 21st century office.
Here are 5 trends for the workplace of the future that document management can help you tackle:
- Remote work. The remote workforce is growing—3.7 million employees currently work from home at least half the time, and that number will likely increase over the coming years. Technology has provided companies with the flexibility to allow employees to work remotely. The only way to make sure your remote staff has access to the information they need is to have an effective document management solution in place. With PSIcapture’s advanced document capture tools, you can automate your workflow processes to make information easily available to your employees when and where they need it.
- Demand for transparency. Transparency in the workplace is quickly rising to the top of employee concerns. Transparency drives trust, helps build tight workplace relationships and creates an environment where everyone is aligned and focused on the big picture. Document management helps facilitate transparency because it allows employees to see the big picture. Instead of everyone’s work being saved on individual desktops or network folders, documents and data can be stored in a digital repository where authorized members of the team can access them. With document management, staff is able to see what is going on throughout the company, providing them with a greater sense of purpose and responsibility for the success of the organization.
- Culture of collaboration. The new generation of workers tends to highly value collaboration in the workplace. They don’t like silos and they believe work is best accomplished when there is an opportunity to openly collaborate with others in the company. But collaboration is difficult if company information is not kept in a central location accessible to everyone who needs it. By implementing a document management workflow, your company will be ahead of the curve when it comes to providing immediate access to information and facilitating collaboration between employees.
- Instantaneous information. As we discussed in our blog post Speed Matters, having quick access to information is no longer just a good idea—it’s a necessity. Customers expect to be served quickly, and long wait times due to inefficient processes, like finding paperwork in physical file cabinets, could cost you business. With document management, your employees will have access to the information they need right away, allowing them to provide the exceptional service customers have come to expect.
- Environmental consciousness. Younger generations are concerned about environmental sustainability—significantly more so than their more seasoned counterparts. Studies have also shown that employees who work at green companies are actually more productive than other workers. Document management is a great way to cut back on unnecessary paper processes, including excessive printing, copying and storing of paper. Not only does your office become more efficient, but you also show a commitment to reducing paper consumption and creating a greener workplace.
Is it time to get your company ready for the workplace of the future? Contact a PSIGEN team member to learn more about implementing advanced document capture at your organization.