And how to ensure yours succeeds
Investing in a document management solution is not merely a matter of researching options and purchasing a system. While these are the first steps, the follow-through once your organization adopts a document management project is where the real challenges arise. Sometimes, despite the effort you went through to implement content management in your company, the project fails.
Why do document management projects fail? On the surface, it would seem like a program that offers solutions to business problems and reduces manual work for staff would be a slam dunk. However, there are numerous reasons why these projects fail.
Here are 4 reasons document management projects fail and how you can ensure yours succeeds:
- The system isn’t user friendly. Thus, your staff isn’t using it properly. We live in a world where a few screen taps on our smartphones can pull up virtually any information we desire. This is the speed of information in the 21st century, yet for some reason, some content management systems are stuck in the dark ages.
It’s unrealistic to expect your staff to embrace a system that is not intuitive and requires a ton of manual work. The point of your document management system is to avoid time-consuming processes and inefficiencies. If document management is unpopular in your workplace, it’s time to take a hard look at your system and probably seek a more user-friendly solution.
- Users aren’t invested in the solution. Maybe you were diligent in finding the best document management solution available. You got it all set up and you’re ready to start seeing the return on your investment. Yet, it’s been a few weeks or months and nothing has changed.
What went wrong? Your users—the ones who are responsible for the day-to-day interactions with the system—haven’t bought into it. It’s time to back up and get your users on board. Carve out some time to educate them on the system. Moreover, explain how using it properly will make life easier for them.
- You didn’t set specific goals. Is your goal to have less paper floating around the office? Or to lower your document processing expenses? Those are great big picture goals, but they’re not specific and measurable. Failing to have specific goals can lead to dwindling interest in the project, and ultimately failure.
Instead of generalized goals, set some benchmarks that you can track to ensure you’re getting a good return on your investment. For instance, set a goal date for fully implementing the solution in a specific department. Do you have a high rate of errors with your current system? Set a goal for reducing those errors by a specific percentage with your new solution. Take the time to measure your results, so you know just how effective the solution is. If your staff sees impressive results, they are more likely to stick with the program.
- You didn’t make a plan. Ever heard that failing to plan is planning to fail? This is undeniably true of document management. Because it can be used in virtually any department, some people try to implement it everywhere right away. Unless you have a plethora of resources to accommodate that undertaking, it’s best to plan out your project in phases.
Start in a department that is most in need of the solution—often this ends up being Accounts Payable or Human Resources. These departments are likely to see a quick return on investment. Thus, the staff will be helpful in getting other departments excited for the solution. Here’s a quick example of a basic implementation plan:
- Implement the system in one department of your organization.
- Get feedback from the staff and learn about any concerns they may have.
- Make necessary changes to the process to ensure maximum user adoption and satisfaction.
- Once that department is happy with the solution and is proficient in using it, have them assist in educating the next department.
It’s a good idea to have a goal timeline for implementing your document management project. However, remember to allow some flexibility in case you need to make some tweaks along the way.
Want to learn more about user friendly document management that offers a serious return on your investment? Talk to an expert today!
4 Things to look forward to with the recent changes at PSIGEN
PSIGEN has led the industry with best of breed document capture for the past two decades. We have always prided ourselves on our innovative, forward-thinking technology designed to solve business problems.
Over the past few years, we have seen the need arise for an expansion of our product offering. Customers and partners have increasingly expressed the desire for additional functionality from our software. After careful consideration, we decided to broaden our product lineup by acquiring our long-time partner Cabinet Document Management Solutions.
This move benefits our partners and customers by providing them with more options when it comes to implementing document process automation.
Here are 4 things to look forward to with the recent changes from PSIGEN:
- Our new technology allows for more flexible workflow and capture automation. The acquisition of Cabinet technology adds several tools to the PSIGEN lineup, including e-signature, workflow, content collaboration and secure document management. These tools can be used all together or separately, meaning users can choose which components work best for their business.
- Cloud and mobile are coming. The SAFE technology we have added to our offering is already cloud-based and mobile friendly. Our developers are working together to bring capture into these spaces, which will allow companies to accomplish their entire process in the cloud or through mobile.
- Get ready to break into new markets. The possibilities with this highly flexible, user-friendly technology are virtually limitless. The toolkit design allows for easy implementation, meaning we will be able to deploy some projects that will not even necessarily require a programmer. This will allow our partners to break into markets beyond their traditional focus industries.
- Subscription pricing is on the horizon. This pricing structure is beneficial to both resellers and customers. Subscription pricing can allow for shorter sales cycles, which then translate to more customers moving to automated processes much more quickly. The sooner an organization can deploy their capture automation project, the sooner they can reap the benefits of increased efficiency, lower costs and higher productivity.
Stay tuned over the coming months to learn more about PSIGEN’s expanded product suite. If you have questions, feel free to get in touch with our automation experts today.
Multi-function printers have their limits—PSIcapture gives them endless possibilities
From value-added resellers and hardware companies to document management solution providers, PSIGEN has a wide range of partners and resellers. In this blog series, we examine the benefits of partnering with PSIGEN to offer your customers the best advanced document capture program on the market.
Today’s multifunction printers (MFPs) are far more resourceful than the copiers of the past. Whether a business wants the ability to print 100 pages per minute, produce beautiful high-resolution prints, connect to the cloud or even print from a mobile device, there’s an MFP to suit every business’s needs. MFPs also allow organizations to scan documents to create digital versions of their files. But when it comes to the scanning aspect of MFPs, is it enough to just provide companies with the hardware?
Without a document capture product, scanning documents from an MFP only produces a digital image. Sure, some MFPs will allow the user to route the scanned image to a specific folder, creating some semblance of structure to the process, but at the end of the day, the user is still left with nothing more than folders full of images that are not searchable. Thousands of files with information just waiting to be harnessed—untapped potential locked behind text the computer can’t read.
The key to accessing this valuable information and turning these static images into useful data is advanced document capture. Advanced capture does more than simply import scanned images—it transforms documents into searchable PDFs and harnesses the data.
Here are the 3 ways PSIGEN’s advanced capture program PSIcapture enhances the capabilities of an MFP:
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
With Christmas right around the corner, we’re all officially getting into the holiday spirit. This is the time of year when we gather with family and friends, thankful for the blessings we’ve received this year and hopeful for what is to come.
At PSIGEN, it’s also a time for us to reflect on the year we’ve had and to give thanks where it is due. From all of us at PSIGEN, we offer our sincere thanks to all of our partners who made 2016 such an outstanding year.
This year, we expanded our team of employees, experienced tremendous growth both domestically and internationally, and successfully equipped our flagship product PSIcapture with a fresh new user interface. We also deployed a brand new website, emphasizing user-friendliness and demonstrating our products’ capabilities within specific industries.
We also had our third Resonance conference, which brought PSIGEN users and partners together for a wonderful time to learn and grow together. This event would not have been possible without the support of our incredible partners who sponsored and attended.
The PSIGEN team is looking forward to what lies ahead in the new year. Our exceptional team and dedicated leaders are sure to make 2017 our best year yet. Once again, we know our success is dependent on our partners going out into the field and telling the world what PSIGEN can do for them.
From everyone at PSIGEN, to all of our partners, thank you. We appreciate you and we are truly grateful for your faith in our team and our product. We wish you all a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
A PSIGEN solution facilitates company growth, improved customer service and a stellar workforce
It’s no secret that companies are increasingly moving toward digitalization. Up until recently, technological advancements in the workplace were mainly a concern for the IT department. Now business leaders are becoming more involved with digital initiatives, as it becomes clear that these projects directly impact the success and growth of the company.
Gartner’s 2016 CEO Survey looked at the top strategic business priorities of 400 senior business leaders, including CEOs and CFOs of many large organizations generating $1 billion in annual revenue. The study showed that technology and digitalization has become a top priority for the leaders of many organizations. In fact, 84% of those surveyed said they expect digital change will increase profits. When it comes to strategic business priorities, 54% of CEOs listed growth as their primary goal. Customer experience came in second place, with 31% of respondents citing it as their No. 1 business priority for the next two years. This number is up from 21% just one year ago. In third place is improvement of the workforce at 27%.
Looking at these numbers, it's clear that CEOs are seeing the connection between digitalization and company success. So how can they take the first step in the right direction?
Investing in advanced document capture is the perfect way to start the transition to digitalization. PSIcapture can help companies accomplish all of these top 3 strategic business priorities. How? Glad you asked!
It all starts with capture
Where do your business processes begin? Is it at the scanning device, where you input documents to be routed into your systems? Or perhaps the starting point is the content management system, where you go to locate the information you need to help you get your job done. While you could possibly make a case for these as potential starting points of your business processes, we'd have to argue that the real starting point is advanced capture.
PSIGEN recently celebrated its 20th year in business. It has been our pleasure to provide our partners and customers with exceptional advanced capture products over the past 20 years. To celebrate this exciting milestone, PSIGEN will be releasing our first ever user interface redesign of PSIcapture.
The all-new UI will be released in PSIcapture 6.0, available Monday, May 16th. The new UI is a sleek, user-friendly upgrade that allows for a more intuitive user experience, without compromising the expansive functionality of the program.
Find out what we learned at #PSIres16
With Resonance 2016 in the books, it's time to reflect on what we've learned and how it can be applied to our everyday lives as professionals in the document management industry. There was so much important material to take in and we hope everyone greatly benefited from the sessions and discussion opportunities.
Here are our 7 big takeaways from Resonance 2016:
These 3 factors are essential for a reliable document capture solution
Document capture bridges the gap between paper documents and digital content. But a good bridge isn't built overnight. It's carefully engineered by skilled professionals using a combination of strength, flexibility and cost-effectiveness to build a sturdy and reliable structure.
Addressing some common misconceptions about capture
Is document capture really right for your organization? Will it be worth your time and money? Is there even a difference between the multitudes of programs out there that all claim to meet your document capture needs? If you're considering document capture for your business, you might have some similar questions rolling around your mind.
Like any other technology on the market, document capture is subject to a wealth of misconceptions. Allow us to debunk 5 myths about document capture to help you make an informed decision for your business:
6 principles that make PSIGEN stand apart from the crowd
PSIGEN's advanced document capture products provide the most innovative, automated solutions in the industry, designed to help businesses solve even their most complex process problems. While we think it's extremely important to provide these great solutions, we believe the way we run our company is equally important. At PSIGEN, we strive to be your trusted software provider and business partner—a goal that is reflected in our core company values.
PSIGEN's third conference is just two months away - here's why you should register
PSIGEN's third Resonance conference is just over two months away, and we are expecting this to be our best year yet. Resonance 2016 is open to both our partners and our software users, meaning we'll have something for everyone. We'll provide valuable information from experts in management, sales and technical development and support.
Here are 5 great reasons to register for the 2016 Resonance PSIGEN Users & Partners Conference:
Is your solution really effective, or is it time to shop around?
Not all document management solutions are created equal. There's an abundance of products on the market designed to help organizations manage their information—but it can be hard to tell which ones are the most effective for businesses. Because of this, companies sometimes end up with systems that don't support their full spectrum of document management needs.
Here are some indicators that you need might to replace your document management solution:
Lots of applications claim to provide automation, but are they all the same?
Automation is a buzzword in the document management world, but what does true automation look like in the context of document capture software? Unfortunately for the average consumer shopping for a document capture solution, the word automation is used so frequently in this space that it's hard to tell the difference between various forms of automation.
In reality, there is a stark difference between the level of automation a basic scanning and capture application can provide compared to the capabilities of an advanced document capture tool.
Wednesday, November 11, officially marked 20 years since the birth of PSIGEN Software, Inc.
This week, PSIGEN Software turns 20 years old! It's been an incredible adventure full of development, growth and learning opportunities, and our company is thrilled to find out what's in store for us over the next 20 years.
For now, here are 20 great reasons PSIGEN has for celebrating on this special occasion:
- Development of industry-leading document capture and data extraction software, PSIcapture.
- A distributed indexing product, PSIfusion, that allows companies to leverage worldwide personnel assets for processing documents.
- Tremendous domestic and international growth, particularly in North America, Europe, Asia and Australia.
- Development and expansion of our team of employees in every department.
- Successful transition to an entirely virtual company.
- Establishment of an official PSIGEN partner and user conference, Resonance, focused on developing knowledgeable PSIGEN experts.
- Creation of more than 60 ECM migrations, includig a robust integration with Microsoft SharePoint, to help meet the needs of many organizations.
- Product scalability that allows for growth or downsizing, depending on a business's needs.
- Growth of our reseller network.
- Development of strategic industry partnerships to give our customers the best solutions possible.
- Creation of panel integrations for several MFP providers for an easy user experience.
- Strategic training program to help resellers and customers become PSIGEN experts.
- Development of a world-class support team that works tirelessly to create solutions for our customers and partners.
- Creation of the Accelerated Classification Engine, which takes automation to the next level and simplifies document processing.
- Advanced Data ExtractionAdvanced Data Extraction and pattern-matching technology that automates and saves time during indexing.
- Connectivity to existing databases, allowing for automatic indexing based on existing data.
- A feature set that allows PSIGEN to optimize the use of any MFP and document management system.
- Successful solutions created for organizations in numerous industries, including healthcare, legal and education.
- An accounts payable solution that has proven to help reduce costs and improve efficiency in many businesses' AP departments.
- Outstanding leadership that continues to propel PSIGEN forward as an industry leader in advanced capture and data extraction.